Monday, November 30, 2009

Ometepe!

Ometepe, the island on Lake Nicaragua made up of 2 volcanoes, a waterfall, beaches and great people!

Wanted to see the waterfall, a 40m biggen that was 12k's from my hotel. So did what I thought was smart at the time and rented a bike. But not thinking about the roads being crazy rock paths. It worked my legs like none other, then when I finally got to the waterfall gates (after a random fishing trip with my restaurant owner) I had to hike up the volcano 2 hours. This waterfall isn't like those in Costa where you can dive into. This was, in total, 2.5ft deep. And the water wasn't powering down, it was trickling, so I took my daily shower in there instead of the luxurious showers every hotel offers!

A 4 hour hike up and down made me hungry again, went back to the one and only restaurant where I bought bananas off a guys tree and ran into Alex and Nikki, two peeps staying at the same hotel. Luckily. Because after we watched the sunset we made the 8k trek back on bikes in the dark. DO NOT TRY THIS EVER. With 2k's to go we started walking, the risk of riding into rocks and sliding down the hill was too great for all of us. Something we all laugh about now, but will never do again.....I think!

Spent 5 days total on Ometepe, here roaming around and killing my legs. Hiked Volcano Maderas the third day I was there, its a slippery mud hike up and practically an adventure slide down as we all tried catching ourselves before falling forever in mud. Made it to the top to the crater lake in just over 4 hours. In all a 8 hour hike up and down. You can't really see anything from the top because its surrounded in clouds, but I guess I did it to say I've summited a Volcano on Ometepe!

Thinking, "yeah, did one, why not the other" headed over to Volcano Conception to try my luck. As this is a VERY steep rocky hike without forest, many say its heat and always up trail is a killer. And advice from an experienced hiker said that the top part was only ash and you have to slide down from the summit on your butt, I opted not to summit this but hike up 7.5k's, a 15k total hike from Altogracia. My legs were shaking soooooo much by the time we made it back to the hotel. I was very thankful,......worked out perfectly as it was Thanksgiving.

Great island for hitching a ride, meeting friendly peeps and hiking. Also very random......fishing trip with the locals, bike rides at night and the never ending search for fruit. Still wondering what the people eat here other than rice,beans and platinos.

No comments:

Post a Comment