Saturday, March 6, 2010

Santa Maria's summit!

The sweet sweet sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet taste of accomplishment!
 
(key to summiting Santa Maria is turning left at these bushes, who would've know!)

After failed attmept number one of summiting Volcano Santa Maria.  Julie and I went back again, this time with two other comrades.  Left Xela at 1:45am.  Started hiking: 2:00 am.  Summited:  5:40am.  Shooting starts.  Volcano eruptions. 
 (Volcano Santiaguito erupting)
Mayan rituals.  Finally finding our way=best feeling EVER! 
Not to mention knowing that we didn't have to climb up anymore, that my friends was a great relief.   The legs were burrrrrning.
 
(biggest shadow known to me)

 
(Volcano Fuego erupting, it's near Antigua)

There were 25 or so Guatemalan's that had camped up on the summit under tarps, 2 feet off the ground.  I think this must have held the heat because otherwise I'm sure they would have froze.  While we were up there they formed a circle around what I'd call a priest, started singing, chanting and praying.  Quite the experience.

Before all of this started, one woman had sat next to me.  Shared my sandwich and my drink, I've yet to encounter a Central American that'll turn you down offering anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment