Tuesday, April 13, 2010

22-Degree halo

Believe it or not, I enjoy running on the beach.  (Anna, not joking, I LIKE it!)  It brings calm and peace to brutal exercise.  Also, a great way to explore lengths of beaches.  Today's run, especially good.

Saw something I've never seen before.  A rainbow-like ring around the sun.  A ring around the sun?  IS THE WORLD ENDING TODAY?  Sure isn't.  This is what it is:

A 22-degree halo occurs when the sky is filled with cirrus clouds which are between 3-5 miles up in the atmosphere.  Because the clouds are so high, they're cold.  And sometimes contain ice crystals.  Thus the 22 degree ring is because of the suns' refracted light through the hexagonal ice crystals.

Much more common than I expected, as it was a bit new to me at first, can happen over 100 days in a year!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Night I got lost in NZed there was one..

    It's just that, I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete