Saturday, September 26, 2009

Seeing. Learning. Understanding

One question I thought about before I left the states, but never really THOUGHT about was: How far can one traveler stretch one US dollar?

Life marker #73

Today, I spent 3 hours conversing with a friend. A local. Talking about opportunities, businesses, in Costa Rica and other Central American countries. There are so many opportunities here. Can't seem to grasp why they're untouched. Learning why life is the way it is for people here.

And after that conversation the rest of the day was consumed with how far one can take that dollar. I'm guilty. I've taken for granted, more time then I'll ever be able to count, life in the states. How the land of opportunity allows people to make more green bills in a year, than some here in a lifetime. People struggle here to make $6000 in one year. And they live happily. Money's not the game, life is.

In another conversation today, someone said to me "money's on the street, you can just find it." I believe that 110% and am trying to understand why they don't chase it. It's not the way of life here. But my 'gringo' mind wanders, all day, everyday, about all the 'green streets.'


$6000 in one year. Think about that. Just for a minute. Please, one minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment