Monday, August 24, 2009

Can't stop smiling



Went to Montezuma, on Friday, via 4-wheel drive Land Rover and that itself was a crazy journey. Felt like I was being transported to do a live story on breaking news in a remote part of the world. Then I remembered, this is a remote part of the world. Picture it......the small seats way in the back. No air. Gravel roads (to call them roads is being nice, more like small paths) that have more holes than honeycomb. Jungle overhead, on the side, everywhere. River crossings. And the constant sound of vibrations making you think the vehicle is going to fall apart instantly. Loved every minute of it.

Stopped by an animal refuge. Got to handle monkeys, anteaters, a kinkajou (bear like monkey thing) and more. Pretty sweet considering the monkey was crawling on everyone's head. There was a toucan there, never seen that before, didn't really believe they existed, THEY DO!

Then onto the falls where my ability to be patient proved wrong again. I sped ahead without the pro's and didn't get to jump off the waterfall like planned (limited hours of daylight) but saw it from the bottom instead. It was splendid.
Ate at a world renound (not sure if that's really true, but it should be if its not) resturante on the beach called la playa de artistos. The six of us managed to rack up a bill of 100,000 colones. Totally worth every bite!

Spent the last two days in Santa Teresa hanging out on the beach. Soaking up every single second of sunlight possible. Maybe a second too much the first day, hit the shade the next.

Was up at 4am this morning to pack and catch the bus, then the ferry, then taxi, then wait, then bus, now Monteverde. And I'm not sure I can ever leave this place. Mountains. Everything green. Adventure tours on every corner. Canopy tour? Zip lining? Canyoning? Horseback riding? Night hiking? Butterfly gardens? Mountain biking? ATV tours? What would you like to do? En serio!

Chilling in a hostel right now. Can hear old school country shouting something about whiskey and heaps of motorbikes passing by. Love this life.

For all the travelers out there, here's parts of my journal entry from my day:
'Sitting at a roadside resturante in Puntarenas waiting for my bus. Here because my taxi driver didn't think it was safe to drop me at the bus station and made a personal decision to drop me with his friends (Resturante owner.) Oddly enough he's been to Iowa. I haven't paid him for the taxi ride yet. Ordered something in Spanish, don't know what I'm drinking. Its good. Unfamiliar with everything. The language. The music. The transport system. Monetary units. Crossing the streets. The style of driving (feel like death is close everytime I'm in a vehicle) hahahaha And I can't stop laughing. This is SO much fun. Don't worry the taxi driver offered me a job being a tour guide for all the tourists coming off of cruise ships, he and his wife will pay me, find me room and board and teach me espanol. Is this real?

Still itching.

1 comment:

  1. Get out of the anus...punta is bad news bears.

    we should skype one of these days to catch up.

    ReplyDelete