Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The El Salvadorian public transportation

So I went from North Eastern (Perquin) El Salvador to South Western (Playa El Tunco) today in a variety of buses (8 hours in total.)

Would like to take this time to paint you a picture of what traveling here in El Salvador is like!

By variety of buses I mean, truck......pick-up truck where they pile NO JOKE 35 people in the back, its covered with tarp and has bars to hold onto. Was the first one on in the morning so got the front seat overlooking the cab. I had a lovely conversation with a 9 year old that was sharing my personal space, aka standing in-between my legs. She explained the country in the most beautiful words, simple ones that I could understand.

The next bus might re-visit me in my nightmares. Live and learn type of thing. NEVER sit in the first seat if you have a HUGE backpack. I did. Let me revisit this personal space thing. IT DOESN'T exist here in Central America. Since my backpack took up my leg room in this lovely first seat, my legs shared the isle with 500 other people and 2 chickens. At one point I was being pinned down on my backpack. My back was being attacked by a women's DD boobs, my hand that was gripping the bar for leverage was conveniently covered by a mans armpit and my head was bumping into a stomach of a woman, maybe pregnant, as my seatmate, was breast feeding. This went on constantly for an hour. The people across the isle were laughing at me, yes, the locals laughing at me. What a sight.

I was giddy as ever to get off that bus. Merry Christmas to me that bus ride is over! And I won't EVER sit in the front again. Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment