Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A tico day in Costa Rica

Cannot get enough of the Costa Rican way of life. Chill. Simple. Hilarious. And after I explain today, you will understand.

Wake up. I have class at 9 a.m. I hear the tucans. Need to eat breakfast. It is pinto (rice and beans, mixed with cilantro and onion) It is pinto everyday. I'm addicted.

Strap on my shoes, preparing for the hike down the mountain. Yes it's on the road, but roads in Costa Rica aren't just roads. They're mysterious paths that offer treacherous walking spaces. The cows enjoy it, probably because they have 4 legs.

Always, ALWAYS when I walk down I'm greeted by nearly 79 dogs. My favorite, ha, has teeth the size of your hand. He's tied up. Always saying hello with his teeth. Thank you to the person who invented ropes and collars.

Today is a bakery day. I pick out three unknown delightful pastries and head to my class. Still walking, 4-5k's each way. The roads are gravel (monstrous rocks) and I'm showered with dust every minute. Always laughing when I walk past incredible views and horses stand, enjoying it.

(Tamal asado)

During class, Marielos makes me Batido de Mango, drink so much I almost explode. I try this new Costa Rican dish. Tamal asado. Practice with direct and indirect objects. The phone rings. It's the clinic. Marielos had an appointment today, now it's cancelled. Why? Well, the president of Costa Rica decided yesterday that today's afternoon would be a holiday. Why? Because Costa Rica's young futbol team had a game at 1pm, so all public employees had the afternoon free. Now, her appointment is rescheduled in November. Pura Vida.

Imagine Obama saying, "Ok, tomorrow you don't need to work in the afternoon" BUSINESS STOPS? WHAAAAAAAT? Futbol is THAT important.

My Spanish is improving. I'm learning slang, local phrases. It's hilarious. Class is finished. Walk back through Santa Elena. Every store, shop, business that is open has people gathering around the TV's, the big game. I learn Costa Rica lost but can tell by the amount of people walking in the bar, that the party continues.

And now, the venture UP the mountain. Sometimes I stop, to catch my breath. My heart beats so hard I think it might jump out. It starts to rain. Perfect, rain, wind! Every car passing waves. It must be my sunglasses. Or the fact that I'm drenched and obviously a gringo.

Back to the Tree house Hotel in Monteverde.

Lunch. Rice and beans with a hot dish. Coffee break at 3 p.m. And back to work.

Can't stop laughing about the president making this afternoon a holiday for the futbol game. Aweeeesomeness!

No comments:

Post a Comment