Tuesday, February 23, 2010

5.6 on the richter scale

I woke up and my bed was shaking.  All I could think about was 'oh now what, another bed story?'  The last few nights have been memorable.  Bed bugs.  Then the next night man with my undies on.  Tonight, well less than an hour ago I wake up to my bed shaking.  No noises.  I look around my room no one is in here.  Then I contemplate ghosts.  But it last too long.  Earthquake?  Do I get up and run to a doorway?  I grew up in tornado country, not shaky land.

View Epicenter in a larger map  (Blue marker represents epicenter, line ends in Antigua, where I'm at now)
Attempted to close my eyes again after it ended.  Riiiight.  You think I can sleep after that?  Failed attempt.  When I looked at my ipod it said 4:53a.m.  Instead of sleeping I ran a series of events through my head that could have been the reason for my bed shaking.

After researching seismic activity, this is what I found from the quake at 4:52am:

Earthquake Details  (Source)

Magnitude5.6
Date-Time
Location16.095°N, 91.174°W
Depth47.9 km (29.8 miles)
RegionCHIAPAS, MEXICO
Distances105 km (65 miles) E of Comitan, Chiapas, Mexico
115 km (70 miles) NW of Coban, Guatemala
175 km (110 miles) NNW of GUATEMALA CITY, Guatemala
930 km (570 miles) ESE of MEXICO CITY, D.F., Mexico
Location Uncertaintyhorizontal +/- 7 km (4.3 miles); depth +/- 13.2 km (8.2 miles)
ParametersNST=165, Nph=165, Dmin=550.7 km, Rmss=1.09 sec, Gp=151°,
M-type=teleseismic moment magnitude (Mw), Version=7
Source
  • USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event IDus2010tbaz

No comments:

Post a Comment