Friday, June 25, 2010

Is it always flooded in Iowa?

Leave for a year.  Come back and things hardly change.  Buildings still there.  People still working the jobs they love to hate.  Restaurants pumping out people on Court Ave and Des Moines, still flooded like always!

Yesterday, around noon I rolled into Des Moines through a mud patch that lasted for....well, forever!  I was screaming in excitement.   Rolled into town with new cyclist friend Sam, who didn't know it at the time, distracted me from the pain in my legs that had been eating them for the last 30 miles.  I fought a head wind and hills for 44 miles yesterday.

This bike trip isn't done yet.  Just put on hold a few days while I say my 'holas' to a few Des Moines peeps.    And on hold is a great thing due to major soreness happenings, from the bike seat region on my body.

Since my last blog, I've convinced myself that dogs are evil.  Chased again.  This time tag-teamed from black labs.  Their teeth were big.  Thus, the sprint lasted a long time.  When my ankles and tires were finally out of reach, my legs were shaking, still clipped in, from the left-over adrenaline pumping throughout them.  That happened in Missouri.  Knock on wood as Iowa hasn't brought me dogs yet, just twin fawns about 4 yards away, lots of cardinals and a retired state troopers front yard for camping in Leon!

Happy to admit, from here to home (roughly 130-150 bike miles) there'll be a bed for me every night!  No more ghetto duct taped tent on this trip, now only to replace it for the owner.....

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha Ghetto Tent? That's not how I remember it!...

    ReplyDelete