Monday, January 25, 2010

Bed bugs........

This morning thoughts. 'Please, please be mosquito bites.' Deep breath. Then question time. "what do these bites look like? Why are they on the backs of my arms and do you have a bed bugs problem?" They answer with a smile and a cheeky 'no problems here.'

After sifting through my stuff that touched the bed. I can confirm bed bugs at Tina's backpacker hostel on Caye Caulker, Belize.

A trip to the laundry mat. A switch of rooms and a flashlight, now double confirms them. I just took the light to the beds in my dorm and saw 5-10 little critters crawling around. Waiting for my blood. They look like ticks. They come from crevices around the beds' frame, during the night to feed. And they spread like wildfire.

So, here I am. In paradise. With my backpack outside on the balcony of my hostel, in a hammock. Ready to camp after paying $11 for my infested room. Not happy about the destruction that happened on my arms or how a hostel can smile at you and give you a bed they know is crawling with bed bugs. 

2 comments:

  1. ok. serious bug spray all across the mattress and UNDER the sheet before retiring. Sorry to hear about your adventures in gastonomy (theirs--not yours!)my adventure started in belize as well, though I din´t encounter the bed bugs until Guatemala...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I went to Caye Caulker I was totally warned of Tina's. Sorry Hailee!!! If you're still there....try tree tops. Awesome and no bed bugs:)

    ReplyDelete