Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tips to finanial success...aka traveling!

After a conversation with a few friends yesterday, thought I'd share a few of my secrets on money savings with you.  This is how to save your money so you can leave the country and travel too!

First thing that started my saving was signing up for the free ING Orange Savings account online.

I was a bit skeptical at first, being recommended to the site from a friend.  I spent a little time digging and asking questions.  The best pluses I found were:

1)  It's free and easy to sign up.  Need a minimum of $250 to start but after that your balance doesn't matter.
2)  When I signed up it was 5% APY interest rate and a $25 sign up bonus.
3)  You can transfer money to and from you bank accounts for free.
4)  It's only online and available 24hrs
5) There are NO FEES.

After I set up that account I set up 2 direct monthly payments from my checking account.  Paying my savings, 401k and loan accounts all at the same time.  Tip:  when you have extra money sitting in your checking account transfer it over to this account so you can't spend it on pointless stuff.

Secondly:
Mint.com

A free and VeriSigned secure money management site.

All you have to do is input all of your online accounts to this and watch the magic happen. Enter checking, savings, and 401k accounts along with your loans, mortgages and car payments.

With all the information included, it will:
-calculate your net worth.
-send you weekly reports of your financial situation
-allow you to set up a budget which they help monitor
-you can self-analyze your spending (it makes the graphs for you!)

Mint.com is pretty much amazing.  Being able to see your accounts, have and idea of where and what you're spending your money on helps shed light on how you can save, save, save!

Two tips.  Two sites that I highly recommend if you're trying to keep a dollar or two in your pocket for that rainy day decision to sell all and move to Central America for a year with only a backpack or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment